Monday, January 24, 2011

things I'm going to write about

It's 12:30 am on a Monday, and I am in my lab waiting for insect embryos to get old enough so that I can cut off their heads. Because that's what I do in the part of my life in which I am a biologist. Not that I usually spend the night at school but that comes as a side effect of my project. Next to me lies a bag with one finished sock and the beginning of the cuff of the second one, and that's what I am going to pick up and work on in a few minutes. That's the knitter side of me. Currently I am high on caffeine from the coffee that arrived today (I have a subscription, gifted to me by my sweet bf). My other addiction. The current pick is Burundi Full City, from Africa, and it's delicious.

The socks (ravelry). I have knitted for my bf before but that is his first pair of socks. He is not really adventurous when it comes to sock design and color, so I let him pick the yarn and the pattern himself. Of course, the yarn came from my stash, and the pattern from my list of favorites ;). He chose the Earl Grey design (rav) and a blue colorway Heritage Paints by Cascade Yarns. Even though I knitted socks before, I don't actually know how to adjust the measurements. Bf has really skinny legs but wide feet, so I cast on fewer stitches for the leg (they're top-down socks) but left a larger number of stitches when I came to the foot. I finished one and gave it to him to try on. It fits snug at the leg and ankle, maybe a little too snug. I think if I block them on my own feet (with my legs being less skinny, and my ankles wider - I can't believe I have fat ankles. It's just bones after all!), it will do. Most importantly, I'm convinced bf will actually wear them!

The coffee. I will be getting two different one-pound bags of coffee every month, and I am planning to comment something on every sort I try. I love coffee (actually, can hardly function without), but I'm more of a less-effort coffee drinker. Means, I am sophisticated enough to grind the beans fresh and not to store them in the refrigerator. But than I dump them into a Mr. Coffee filter coffee machine. I apologize beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment