Sunday, May 22, 2011

on making clothes for babies

One would think that knitting for babies means quick projects (and therefore quick FO-satisfaction) and good practice for adult clothes. I just don't ever manage to churn out something baby-ish that looks like it's supposed to, and/or might actually fit the baby I'm making this for.

Most of my baby projects are meant for my little niece who was born in January. Problem is, her growth rate is so unpredictable. She was too small at birth, so she was the size of a newborn when she was 3 months old, and now she's catching up like crazy but is technically still undersized. Should I make clothes in the size she has now (of which I only have an estimate)? By the time I finish the project and send it from the USA to Germany (might take up to 3 weeks), she has likely outgrown the clothes. Should I make clothes that are too big now but will fit later? What if I make 'big' summer clothes but they won't fit until it gets too cold to wear them? How tall will she be in the winter, and is it too early to plan a coat?

Maybe I should STOP making any baby clothes until I have a ... local ..... baby to fit them to (wink to bf).

Anyways, I made this dress for my niece:
Fiona Baby Sundress, my project
 and the matching shrug:
confection baby shrug, my project
I also knitting a matching hat but I haven't put the final touch on yet. And I mean the pesky blocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment